We all have an idea of a coach - this might be from a sporting perspective, or maybe from going through business or career coaching at work. The term varies by location and field - for example, followers of US sports will recognise reverential use of the title "coach" at all levels, while we in the UK might see a "manager". We know what they do - they get the best out of the people in their team. Move away from sport though, and various myths and suspicions appear about some forms of "coaching".
In this post I want to tell you a little bit about what we do here at Mightify, and also what we don't do - that's the simplest way to explain what we mean by "coaching" and hopefully debunk a few myths along the way.
1. It's about you, not us. No-one knows your hopes and fears, dreams and challenges better than you - so we listen to you and understand your unique situation.
2. It's not about teaching or giving advice. Yes, we'll use our own experiences, but we won't tell you what to do - we'll help you work it out for yourself so that you see lasting change that comes from you.
3. We want to achieve a positive outcome. We create a relaxed atmosphere and give you plenty of space to explore things, but that doesn't mean it's an aimless chat - we're also here to hold you accountable and move towards your goals.
4. You won't be judged, and we won't think you're broken and need fixing. Whatever you're experiencing means you aren't reaching your potential right now - it doesn't mean you never will.
5. There's nothing to be afraid of or embarrassed about. We all encounter a lot of pressure in life to be "strong" and not show emotion or vulnerability, but it doesn't have to be this way. Coaching sessions are of course entirely confidential, but shouldn't it be a good thing to be investing in your health, happiness and success?
A coach supports and empowers you to get where you want to go - not quick fixes but lasting, sustainable growth. If you think that's something worth investing in, get in touch.